17 Abovyan St, Republic of Armenia, Yerevan 0001
Katoghike Holy Mother of God is a small medieval church located in Kentron District of Yerevan. The only inscription about the age of the church is the script (dates back to 1264) carved in the walls of the chapel. Between 1693 and 1695 was built a large basilica which was named after Holy Mother of God.
It was located near Katoghike church in the ancient district of Yerevan Shahar. The new church had three-nave basilica type with famous Armenian tufa stone which was typical of the Armenian architecture of the churches. But the newly built church didn't have a dome and had two entrances both on the southern and western parts. The chapel's prayer hall considered to be one of the largest one in old Yerevan.
In 1936 the Soviet Government ordered to use the territory of the chapel for the residential buildings and a linguistic institute. But after the protests of archaeologists, the church was preserved. On the walls of the destroyed church were found many old Khachkars which probably dates back to the 15th and 17th centuries. The inscriptions engraved on the western façade date back to the years 1284, 1229 and to the sixteenth century, while the inscriptions on the northern walls refer to the year 1609.
So it means that Katoghike was built early in the 17th century at the western side of the Holy Mother of God church. It was one of the churches of Yerevan that survived the earthquake.
Thus the nowadays Church has two names Katoghike and Holy Mother of God. In the recent years, a new complex was constructed beside the chapel. The complex includes a big church named after St Anna and a big building which designed to serve as a residence of the Catholicos.
On July 4, 2009, took place the ground sanctification conducted by Catholicos Karekin II for the construction of the newly built building. The guest were President Serzh Sargsyan, President of the Constitutional Court, Gagik Harutyunian, Mayor of Yerevan, Gagik Beglarian, Members of the Supreme Spiritual Council, Members of the Brotherhood of Holy Etchmiadzin, national and benefactors Hirair Hovnanian and his wife. Finally, on 30 April 2015, the Saint Anna Church was blessed by Catholicos Karekin II. The architect is Vahagn Movsisyan.