Dadivank town, Republic of Nagorno Karabakh
The magnificent Dadivank is one of the beautiful churches of Artsakh. It was built in the 9th-13th centuries. The church is located on the slopes of Dadivan Mountain near the village of Dadivank in Nagorno Karabakh. It was called also Khutavank because it was built on the hill (‘Khut’ means ‘hill’ in Armenian).
According to a legend, the monastery was founded by St. Dadi - one of the followers of Apostle Thaddeus who spread Christianity in Armenia in the 1st century. The relics of Saint Dadi were discovered under the altar of the main church during the excavations in 2007.
In historical references, the church was first mentioned by Mkhitar Gosh who lived and worked there for some time.
The first buildings of the monastery complex were built in the 9th century. In the 12th century, the complex was set on fire by the Seljuk invaders. It was restored only about two decades later.
The complex includes two churches, two chapels, monk cells, a library, a refectory, a guest house and other buildings. The main church of the monastery is Katoghike which was built in 1214. Adjacent to Katoghike is a single-nave church with a narthex of the 13th century. The bell tower of the monastery was also built in the 13th century.
Surrounded by high mountains, dense forests, and gorges, this wonderful place is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the region.