Armavir Region

Armavir
Armavir

Area: 1,242 km2

Population: 265,770


The historical Armavir area is situated between Mount Aragats and Mount Ararat and is a part of Ararat Valley, the biggest and the most fertile of 40 valleys of Armenian upland. It is the smallest marz (region) in Armenia, although it is the most densely populated in the country.

The main place of interest and the pride of Armavir Region is the religious and spiritual center of Armenian Apostolic Church – Echmiadzin which was built between 301 and 303 during the reigns of King Trdat III and Gregory the Illuminator - founder and first patriarch of the Armenian Apostolic Church.  Here you can visit St. Echmiadzin monastery complex, Catholicosat and the residence of the Catholicos of all Armenians.  

According to the old legend, the Saint Gregory the Illuminator, the first Catholic of all Armenians, once had a prophetic vision in this place: Jesus Christ descended from heaven and with his golden hammer pointed to the place to erect the church. So, in 301 King Trdat III founded Mother See of Holy Echmiadzin, meaning “the Descent of the Only-Begotten” in the Armenian language; it is one of the oldest in the world history. Later, in 1945 the city was also renamed after the church.

Centuries passed, and in the surrounding of the church more new religious constructions began to grow: Saint Hripsime church built in 618, St. Gayane Church constructed in 630, Church of St. Shokagat erected in 1634.

According to some legends, the ladies were one of the first Christians in Armenia, who preached and spread the faith in one God. It happened once that king Trdat III, being a pagan, wished a wonderful Hripsime, the lady famous for her unusual beauty. She was inexorable to the ruler, thus the tyrant, in fury, gave an order to hail her and her friends with rocks. Hripsime accepted the martyrdom. The ruler though fell ill not long after. St. Gregory the Illuminator took pity on the King and cured him. After this wonder, Trdat III repented, came to believe in Jesus, built Echmiadzin and gave permission to christen the people.

 In 1992, the city officially received back the ancient name Vagarpashat, but the majority still uses the previous name. In 2000, the Mother See of Holy Echmiadzin was included in the UNESCO List of Cultural Heritage.St. Etchmiadzin also houses an extensive museum with relics of special interest like pieces of the crest where Jesus Christ was crucified and the fragment of Noa’s Ark.

The region of Armavir is rich in ancient monuments.  Historically the most interesting are the ruins of Argishtikhinili, an Urartu city. On the left bank of the former riverbed of the Araks, there was the city of Armavir which for centuries was a major economic and cultural center. A little farther to the west at the confluence of the Araks and the Akhuryan are the ruins of another significant city – Yervandashat – the last capital of Yervandid dynasty.

In the vicinity of Armavir, there are two stones bearing Greek inscriptions of Hellenistic epoch containing historical and literary texts. The architecture was highly developed there. The ruins of Cyclopean fortresses, burial places, and palace structures have survived from ancient times till nowadays.  Urartu arrows have been found in the temples of Zvartnots Cathedral and Ejmiatsin, and remnants of an ancient hearth of a heathen tabernacle — in the altar part of the latter.  The ruins of ancient Armavir are located near the present capital of the region.

Armavir

Armavir

Armavir is the capital of Armavir region; it is located in the Ararat valley and borders on Turkey. This city was the first capital of Armenia. It is also called Sardarapat or Hoktemberyan.  It is considered to be one of the youngest cities in Armenia. Here are the popular factories of Vine and Brandy. They say this factory’s vines are special.

The first thing to do in Armavir is visiting the memorial complex of Sardarapat; dedicated to the heroic battle of 1918 against Turks.Then you can visit the other places such as the Central Park; there is a beautiful Church named after Saint Grigor Narekaci.

Near the park, there are a lot of cafés where you can sit and enjoy the look of the city. There is a lovely Zoological and botanical garden at the center of the city. There are a lot of animals that welcome the visitors, and rare types of the plants that decorate the surrounding of the city.

There is also "Kamurj complex", where the tourists can have a good rest. There you can taste real Armenian foods and dishes.There are a lot of cafés restaurants and pubs, here you can try the traditional Armenian "Khash" and they will suggest traditional soups that are special for the people of Armavir. A beautiful Metsamor Castle is in Armavir. Nowadays the ruins of the standing stones make this place a very attractive place. It is a very interesting historical place to visit.


City/town


Sights

Echmiadzin

The most important center of Armenian Apostolic Church is The Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin.This temple was built in the beginning of 4th century, just after Christianity was adopted as a state religion.

Read More