Tashir is located in the Lori region, near the border with Georgia, 42 km north of the administrative center Vanadzor and 154 north of the capital Yerevan. It is situated in the northern part of Lori plain and on the shores of the river, 1500 meters above sea level.
This town was founded in 1844 and known as Vorontsovka which was named after the Russian prince and field-marshal Mikhail Vorontsov. He was a leader in the Caucasian War between 1844 to 1853.
In 1935, the Soviets renamed the town Kalinino, in honor of the Bolshevik revolutionary Mikhail Kalinin. After independence (1991), the Republic of Armenia renamed the city "Tashir", in honor of the historic region of Armenia which was a canton in Gugark Province(13th province of Great Armenia).
The city first mentioned in the book of "History of Armenia" written by famous Armenian Historian Movses Khorenatsi. But the Historian didn't mention the origin of the name. The area of nowadays city included in the historical Tashir canton. The region ruled Bagratuni dynasty, who founded Bagratunyats Kingdom of Armenia(885).
The city was an ancient residence (3rd millennium BC), it has been settled since the early Bronze Age. A cyclopean fortress, an ancient cemetery prove that the residence dates back to the 3rd and 2nd millennium BC. The remains of a 10th-century church are also in the town.
Tashir's first Church was built in 1994 and called Saint Astvatsatsin after that, was built Saint Sarkis in 2000. There is a lovely park in the center of the city where you will find a monument-memorial dedicated to the victims of Armenian Genocide. Tashir also has a cultural center, 3 public libraries, and a music school.
On October 8 the city celebrates its own day with great importance. Also every year "Tashir’s Cheese Festival" takes place here where many regions of Armenia participate and present their own handmade types of cheese.