Shamlugh is located in Lori Region in the northeast of Armenia. It is situated on the left bank of the Debed River, 196 km north of the capital Yerevan and 63 km north of the administrative centre Vanadzor. Shamlugh has a subtropical climate, with dry cool summers and mild winters.
The town of Shamlugh is located on the slopes of Lalvar Mountain and is surrounded by thick forests and meadows. The town used to be a multinational residence with 16 different nations living there. In 1938, Shamlugh got the status of an urban-type settlement.
Under the rule of the Persian Afsharid dynasty over Eastern Armenia, copper mining became popular in the region of Lori. Many Greek miners migrated to the area and built a copper factory in 1770, thus stimulating the gradual development of the whole region and setting the ground for the foundation of the town of Shamlugh in the 1770s.
In 2001, the Shamlugh copper mine was brought back into operation by a local private company.
There are several sights of interest in the territory of the town. The archaeological site of an ancient settlement located 5 km southwest of Shamlugh dates back to the 10-13th centuries. Remains of three churches are preserved in the area of this site. A cemetery site of 10-13th centuries, as well as a 13th-century khachkar (cross-stone) complex, are preserved nearby Shamlugh. There is also a Greek chapel of Saint George in the town which was built in 1909.
The locals call their town “a paradise between the mountains” and are always happy to welcome guests from everywhere. They will probably take you to their famous spring called "Ttu jur" (‘acid water’ in Armenian) the water of which is considered healing.
The town also has a cultural centre and a public library.