Alaverdi is located in the northeastern part of Armenia in Lori region and borders on Georgia. It is situated on the bank of the Debed River and at the only rail link between Armenia and Georgia. This town is an industrial and important commercial center of Northern Armenia.
During medieval period has the names " Manasgomer" or "Manits Gom". Alaverdi was settled in the 2nd millennium BC, that’s why is rich with many historical monuments and churches.
This town was formed as a residence in 1899, when the copper factory was opened near the village of Madan (currently part of Alaverdi) at the northern parts of Sanahin village and after that were built houses for the workers of the factory. The newly founded residence was named after the French engineer Manés who was the director of the project.
Probably the city was settled during the 1st half of the 2nd millennium BC. Once it became part of Urartu Kingdom(8th-6th BC). In 331 BC the region became part of The Dzorapor division which was the historic Gugark (the 13th region of Great Armenia). The first major plan of Manes was presented by architect Mikayel Mazmanyan (1929-1930). In 1935 Manes was renamed Alaverdi and gained the status of an urban-type settlement.
Alaverdi is 1000 meters above sea level, surrounded by high mountains and green forests. The Debed river divides the town into 2 parts: northern part of Alaverdi is in the Debed Canyon, and the southern part of the town is on the Sanahin plateau.
The most popular churches in the city are the monasteries of Sanahin and Haghpat. The Sanahin Monastery was built in the 4th century when the Saint Nshan Cross was built. Sanahin means "this is old from that". In the surrounding of Haghpat and Sanahin were built more than 20 churches and chapels, buildings, mausoleums, and schools. These two churches were included on UNESCO’s World Heritage List in 1996.
The other beautiful church in Alaverdi town is the Saint Atsvatsatsin which is the oldest monastery in the complex. The Holy Savior Church stands out with its huge sizes and has the leading position in the complex. Near the complex, you will see the bridge of Sanahin, which is considered to be the biggest bridge in Lori. The other popular place is the temple of Odzun, which was built in 6th – 7th. It is a rare sample of Armenian architecture. So this place is worth to be visited. Here you will discover the cultural and historical heritage of Armenia.
The town has a theatre which was founded in 1932 by Armen Armenyan and also a drama theatre which consists of a large theatre hall and a big public library. In 1987 the National Gallery of Armenia opened a branch here. In 1997, the Alaverdi cultural palace was opened. It also has a public library, a music academy named after Romanos Melikian, 3 schools with a total of 600 students.
Haghpat is medieval monastery complex located in Haghpat town Lori Region. Haghpat monastery was built in 10th century. Haghpat was eminent spiritual and cultural center of Armenia.Read More