Noyemberyan is located in the north-eastern part of Armenia, in Tavush Region. It's located 2 km west of the Armenia-Azerbaijan border, and 9 km south of the Armenia-Georgia border. The city locates on the eastern foot of the Gugark mountains and at the southeast of the Koghb River valley, at 820 meters above sea level.
It is 187 km northeast of the capital Yerevan, and 54 km north of the administrative center Ijevan. The city is surrounded by the Voskepar mountains from the south and the mountains of Gugark from the west. The climate of the city is mild and humid. The former name was Barana, according to the historian Makar Barkhudaryants the word Barana derived from the Armenian word "Aparan" which means palace.
In 1938 the city renamed Noyemberyan in honor to commemorate the entrance of the Red Army to Armenia which took place on November 29,1920. The area of the modern city was part of Koghbapor which was a canton of Gugark ( the 13th province of Great Armenia).
Unfortunately, there is not much information about the origin of this city but it was a fact that 10th and 12th centuries it was part of Tashir-Dzoraget Kingdom. In 1236 started the Mongol invasions of the city. Later, 13-14th centuries the city was ruled by the Zakarids. The 13th-century Mshkavank Monastery and Surp Sarkis Church are the proof that the settlement was formed in that century. In 1971, Noyemberyan got the status of an urban-type settlement.
During the Soviet period, the most developed industrial sector in Noyemberyan were food-processing mainly dairy products. In 2016, Noyemberyan was enlarged to including rural settlements of Baghanis, Barekamavan, Berdavan, Dovegh, Jujevan, Koti, Voskepar and Voskevan.
This town is situated in forest area which makes a beautiful place. There are lots of churches, castles, and cemeteries in the same area. The remains of a cyclopean fortress were found at the northern edge of the city which dates back to the 2nd millennium BC. The three famous castles are still standing.One of the oldest cyclopean castles is " Mrakghats Areguni", the other castle is "Tphi Dash" and " Berdagh". At the south of the town are found the remains of the 13th-century Jukhtakeghtsi Church. But the other church from the same period Mshkavank Monastery is well-preserved.
The town's main Surp Sarkis church was built in 1903 which was recently renovated. The town's second Surp Anna church was built in 2011 through the efforts of Sedrak Mamyan; a native of Noyemberyan living in Volgograd.
Noyemberyan has a cultural center, a public library, an art school and a school of music also the local "Kamut TV" station. The town has small plants for canned food, dairy products, flour and bakery products. There are also producing companies for furniture, plastic products, and candles. The Nearby Berdavan settlement has Berdavan wine Factory. The locals are involved in agriculture and have fertile farms with rich crops of peach and grape. In the town has been working iron and copper mines.
There are the lot of hotels and restaurants in Noyemberyan and is a perfect place for good holidays. You can have a good rest, meantime discover the oldest castles, the historical monuments and the secrets of wild nature.