Meghri is located in the southern part of Armenia, in Syunik Region and borders on Iran. The city is on the shores of Meghri River, surrounded by Zangezur Mountains from the northeastern part, and Meghri mountain chain from the southwestern part, at an average height of 610 meters above sea level.
It is situated 376 km south of the capital Yerevan and 73 km south of the administrative centre Kapan. Meghri is divided into 2 neighbourhoods: "Mets tagh" which is translated as “a large neighbourhood” and "Pokr Tagh" meaning a small neighbourhood.
The first one is located on the left bank of Meghri river, the second neighbourhood is on the right bank of the river. It is considered to be one of the oldest towns of Armenia: remains and ruins from the Iron millennium were discovered in the area of the town.
The city was founded in 906 by king Smbat I of Armenia. It was called Karchavan during the period of the Bagratid Kingdom of Armenia. Later, it was renamed to Meghri, which is derived from the Armenian word meaning ‘honey town’.
The city has been settled since the Bronze Age. Many archaeological monuments were found here which date back to the 7th-6th century BC (period of Urartu kingdom). In 1105, Meghri was occupied by the Seljuks and the town was completely destroyed.
After the establishment of the First Republic of Armenia (1918), the city was included in the Zangezur region. In 1959, Meghri got the status of an urban-type settlement. After the independence of Armenia, Meghri was included in the Syunik Region.
In 2016, Meghri was enlarged including villages of Agarak, Alvank, Aygedzor, Gudemnis, Karchevan, Kuris, Lehvaz, Lichk, Nrnadzor, Shvanidzor, Tashtun, Tkhkut, Vahravar, and Vardanidzor.
Popular sights in Meghri are St. Astvatsatsin (17th century) and St. Hovhannes (17th century) churches. The latter is also known as Meghri Monastery. It's half-ruined and doesn't work. However, it is a very beautiful and interesting example of Armenian architecture.
St. Astvatsatsin (Holy Mother of God) Church is located in the northern part of the "Mets tagh" and is surrounded by residential houses on all sides. Near the church, you can see a Khachkar-monument dedicated to the 100th anniversary of the Armenian Genocide.
St. Sarkis three-nave basilica church was also built in the 17th century. The interior is decorated with frescoes. On the north side of the "Mets Tagh" lies the fortress of Meghri, which dates back to the 10th-11th centuries. Not far from Meghri is the village of Shvanidzor where you can find a unique bridge of 17th century built in a Greco-Romanian style. There are also some interesting old churches and chapels in this district.
Meghri has a public library which was founded in 1882, also a cultural centre and the children's school of art. The surrounding areas of the town are known as the Prime Butterfly Area. Here a number of rare and endangered species of butterflies, such as Gegenes Nostradamus, Papilio Alexanor, Cupido Argiades, Polyommatus Damonides, and others are found.