History of Gyumri
Gyumri is located in the northwestern part of the region and is the second-largest city of Armenia. The city has changed its name several times: in the 19th century it was known as Alexandrapol, then was renamed Leninakan during the Soviet period, and in 1992 when Armenia, at last, became an independent country, the city was renamed Gyumri.
Unfortunately, on December 7, 1988, the city suffered a terrible earthquake. 15.000-17.000 people died and 25.000 were injured. The earthquake destroyed not only houses and apartment buildings but also the most important industrial factories of Leninakan. Many years have passed since the devastating earthquake but one can still feel the pain of the city.
Of course, those who could survive the horrible earthquake stood up again and started rebuilding the city. Now Gyumri is becoming one of the top tourist destinations in Armenia.
Gyumri has long been considered the cultural capital of Armenia. The city is unique as it somehow managed to preserve the atmosphere of the 19th century. The Kumayri historic district of Gyumri is one of the few places in the Republic of Armenia with an authentic historical urban Armenian architecture. Luckily this district has survived two major earthquakes. It has over one thousand 18th and 19th-century buildings, which represent the traditions and culture of Armenian architecture.
The city is rich with historical and cultural monuments. It is home to many churches including the Cathedral of the Holy Martyrs which is the seat of the Ordinariate for Armenia, Georgia, Russia, and Eastern Europe for the Armenian Catholic Church.
Other churches of the city are the Church of the Holy Saviour or Surp Amenaprkich (1859–1873), Cathedral of the Holy Mother of God: also known as Seven Wounds of the Holy Mother of God (1873–1884), Surp Nshan Church of 1870 and many other churches and chapels.
The Architectural Museum of Gyumri is one of the most interesting and visited museums in the country. The building of the museum used to be the house of a famous merchant Petros Dzitoghtsyan and was founded in 1872. It is built of red Tufa stone.
The city is home to the house-museums of the great Armenian poets Avetik Isahakyan and Hovhannes Shiraz and the great actor Mher Mkrtchyan. They are all located on the same street in Gyumri.
The Aslamazyan Sisters House-Museum, built in the 1880s, is home to more than 700 drawings, paintings and other works of the Aslamazyan sisters who were the Soviet-era artists.
The House-Museum of the prominent Armenian sculptor Sergey Merkurov is located in Gyumri.
In 1912, Gyumri was home to the first opera show ever staged in Armenia, when composer Armen Tigranian presented Anoush to the public in Alexandropol. In 1923, the first Armenian opera theatre was opened in Gyumri, while the Vardan Ajemian State Drama Theatre was founded in 1928.
However, Gumri is first of all known for its talented people, who highly contributed to the cultural and sport life of the country. Many Olympic and world champion wrestlers, weightlifters and boxers are from Gyumri. No wonder that throughout centuries Gyumri was considered the "city of crafts and arts".
The Architectural Museum of Gyumri is the most attractive and the most visited museum in Gyumri. This museum is the old house which has represents Gyumri’s history, local culture, and everyday life.Read More