Chambarak is located in the northeastern part of the Gegharkunik region and considered to be one of the five towns of the province. It is situated 1km far from the eastern border of Armenia and Azerbaijan, 125 km away from the capital Yerevan. The town is 1860m above the sea level. The population is 5800.
It was known as Mikhaylovka, Karmir Gyugh (red village) and Krasnosyelsk until 1991. Mikhaylovka was founded in 1740-1785 by Russian Molokans from Samara and Saratov. In 1971 the village Krasnaselsk, including Nerkin and Verin Chambarak, got the status of an urban-type settlement.
The majority of the population were Russians (Molokans), Kurds, Mordvins, and Armenians. During the 1992-1994 financial crisis, the majority of Russian inhabitants moved to Russia. Nowadays, locals are involved in cattle-breeding, grain, and vegetable cultivating.
The historical monuments of the territory are the ruins of churches of 11th and 15th-16th centuries and more than 20 cross-stones from different periods. There is also the fortress of "Galustakar" located on the right bank of the River Getik dating back to the 2nd-1st millennium BC.