Ararat is a town located in Ararat Region. The town is situated in the eastern part of Armenia and the central part of modern-day Armenia, occupying the southeastern part of the Ararat plain, only 7 km east of Araks river on the Armenia-Turkey border.
The city was named after Mountain Ararat. The city has developed agriculture and heavy industry. Ararat town is one of the important towns in the Ararat Region of Armenia, located on the Yerevan-Nakhchivan highway, 19 km south of the provincial center Artashat.
The population of the town is around 20,300. The town was officially named Ararat in 1947 after the nearby biblical Mountains of Ararat. The name of the town is the Hebrew spelling of Urartu, a kingdom that existed in the Armenian plateau in the 9th–6th centuries BC.
The foundation of the Ararat cement was launched in 1927 within Soviet Armenia, accompanied with the construction of few residential apartments to accommodate the workers. In 1930, the settlement was officially formed as a labor accommodation area, while the cement plant gave its first production in 1933.
In 1935, the settlement was enlarged with the inclusion of the surrounding rural areas. With the establishment of several industrial plants, the town was developed as a major industrial center of the Armenian SSR, to become an urban-type settlement.
Due to its rapid growth and the gradual increase of the population, it was given the status of a town in 1962. In 1972, it became a city of Republican Subordination. Historically, the nowadays territory of the town was part of the Vostan Hayots canton of Ayrarat region of Ancient Armenia.
Ararat has a cultural palace located in the central square near the town hall. The town is also home to an art academy, a sports school, and a youth creativity center. On 16 September 2009, the statue of sparapet Vazgen Sargsyan was erected at the central town square of the town.